POWER - An independent inquiry into Britain's democracy
Just some of the comments made at the Power to the People Conference on 6 May 2006:
‘…the Power Inquiry is one of the most important initiatives we’ve seen in British politics in years.’
David Cameron MP
‘The report of the Power Commission should worry every elected representative in Britain.’
Sir Menzies Campbell MP
> More about the conference
- How can democracy survive when we feel politicians don’t listen?
- How can politics be revived when fewer and fewer of us support political parties?
- How can voting be encouraged if millions see elections as a charade?
After eighteen months of investigation, the final report of Power is a devastating critique of the state of formal democracy in Britain. Many of us actively support campaigns such as Greenpeace or the Countryside Alliance. And millions more take part in charity or community work. But political parties and elections have been a growing turn-off for years. The cause is not apathy. The problem is that we don’t feel we have real influence over the decisions made in our name. The need for a solution is urgent. And that solution is radical. Nothing less than a major programme of reform to give power back to the people of Britain...
- To find out where you can obtain a copy or download a copy of Power to the People click here.
- Comment on the Power report.
- What happens next? Register your support.